Individual quiches with the richness of crab and eggs make a pretty breakfast or brunch entree.”
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 8 eggs
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can lump crabmeat, drained, flaked, and cartilage removed
- ⅓ cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- Dash salt
- 1½ tablespoons chilled vegetable oil spread
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat six 6-ounce custard cups, shallow ramekins, or quiche dishes with cooking spray. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, milk, and black pepper. Stir in crabmeat, roasted peppers, and parsley.
- 2Divide egg mixture among prepared custard cups. Place cups on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- 3Meanwhile, prepare pastry topping: In a medium bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour, and dash salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in chilled vegetable oil spread until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 teaspoon cold water at a time, until all the flour mixture is moistened (about 3 to 4 teaspoons cold water total). Form dough into a disk. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough from center to edges to ⅛-inch thick. Using 3- to 4-inch cookie cutters, cut out dough into six shapes. Brush pastry cut-outs with a mixture of refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, and 1 tablespoon water.
- 4Place pastry cut-outs on a baking sheet. When quiches are done baking, increase oven temperature to 450°F. Bake pastry cut-outs for 8 to 10 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Place each baked cut-out on top of a quiche. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.